We have listed here some multiple choice questions with answer on UNIX Operating System, Which has asked by multiple companies like Genpact, Syntel, Ericsson, Zensar, Virtusa etc.
You can prepare your job written and interview by using these sets of question fro here.
1. What is UNIX?
a) an operating system
b) a text editor
c) programming language
d) software program
2. In which language UNIX is written?
3. POSIX is a set of standards specified for establishing compatibility between operating systems.
4. Which part of the UNIX operating system interacts with the hardware?
c) vi editor
d) application program
5. What is a superuser?
a) system manager
b) normal user
d) a user with special rights.
6. What are Commands?
a) specific instructions for performing a particular task
b) part of the operating system
c) part of the shell
d) special instructions
7. The sequences of directories that a shell searches while looking for a command is specified in the PATH variable.
8. Which command is used to display the documentation of commands in UNIX?
9. What are meta-characters?
a) special characters having predefined meaning to the shell
b) special symbols
c) shell symbols
d) command symbols
10. What are escape sequences?
a) special characters beginning with a \ (backslash)
b) special commands
c) special utilities
d) a sequence of characters
11. For what purpose bc command is used?
a) as a calculator
b) as a editor
c) as a process table viewer
d) for copying files
12. mailx command is used for sending and receiving emails.
13. Which of the following is not an internal command used by mailx?
14. Which command is used by the user to change their login password in UNIX?
15. For interrupting a command, we can use _____
16. Ctrl-S stops scrolling of screen output and ________
a) locks terminal
b) delete a character
c) locks keyboard
d) delete a line
17. A file is a container for storing information.
18. The most common file type is ___
a) ordinary file
b) directory file
c) device file
d) ordinary file and directory file
19. Device files are used by the kernel for operating the device.
20. UNIX imposes no rule for framing filename extensions.
21. Which command is used for printing the current working directory?
22. cd command cannot be used without any argument.
23. Sometimes we are unable to create a directory because ______________
a) the directory may already exist in the current directory
b) there may be a ordinary file by the same name innthe current directory
c) the permissions set for the current directory does not allow the creation
d) the directory may exist, there may be a ordinary file, the permissions set for the current directory does not allow the creation
24. For creating or removing directories, the user must be positioned above the directory or in the parent directory of the directory, on which the operation is to performed.
25. What is an absolute pathname?
a) pathname relative to parent directory
b) pathname relative to root (/)
c) pathname relative to parent and current directory
d) pathname relative to current directory