We have listed here some multiple choice questions with answer on UNIX Operating System, Which has asked by multiple companies like CTS, CSC, Dell, Polaris, Patni, Motorola etc.
You can prepare your job written and interview by using these sets of question fro here.
1. $ cp file_01 . copies the file named file_01 in ____ directory
2. Which of the following is not a feature of UNIX?
d) easy to use
3. Which of the following is not true about UNIX?
a) Many people can use a UNIX based computer at the same time; hence UNIX is called as a multiuser system
b) A user can run multiple programs at the same time; hence UNIX is called a multitasking environment.
c) UNIX was not written in ‘C’ language
d) Linux is also known as a version of UNIX
4. Two UNIX systems may or may not use the same set of system calls.
5. In how many categories, commands of UNIX operating system classified?
6. Options are also arguments but begin with a – .
7. How can we specify more than one command in the command line at the same time?
a) using ;
b) using >
c) using ==
d) not possible
8. Which command is used for displaying date in the format dd/mm/yyyy ?
a) date +%m
b) date +%h
c) date +“%d/%m/%Y”
d) date +“%h %m”
9. Which of the following is not a valid escape sequence in UNIX?
10. script command is used for___________
a) recording history
b) recording our session
c) recording passwords
d) recording scripts
11. Which of the following function cannot be performed by mailx command?
a) sending and receiving mails
b) reply to the sender
c) forward, delete and print mails
d) un-send mails
12. Two or more users can have same login name in the output of who command.
13. We can use man command for displaying the documentation of man itself.
14. Which control unlocks the keyboard?
15. In how many broad categories, files are divided in UNIX?
16. Each entry of directory file has component(s) namely _____
b) inode number
c) filename and inode number
d) file size
17. The root directory is represented by ___
18. _____ and _____ cannot be used in a filename.
a) /, NULL
c) ., %
d) NULL, $
19. Which command is used for changing the current directory?
20. Which command is used for removing an empty directory?
21. What is a relative pathname?
a) pathname relative to parent directory
b) pathname relative to root (/)
c) pathname relative to parent and current directory
d) pathname relative to current directory
22. cd /bin/user/directory/abc is an example of relative pathname.
23. For moving two level up in the file hierarchy system using cd command once, we separates ( . . ) by which symbol?
24. Which option is used with ls to display attributes of the directory ?
25. What is the collating sequence of ls command for listing files?
a) Numerals > Uppercase > Lowercase
b) Numerals > Lowercase > Uppercase
c) Lowercase > Uppercase > Numerals
d) Uppercase > Numerals > Lowercase